The hormones called testosterone are responsible for the breakouts on your skin. These hormones belong to the family of androgens and are known to stimulate the sebaceous glands which lead to excessive oil production. Excessive sebum (oil produced by sebaceous glands) is responsible for making your skin prone to acne.
What Cause Hormonal Acne
During puberty, hormonal acne often appears in the T-zone. This includes your forehead, nose, and chin.
Hormonal adult acne typically forms on the lower part of your face. This includes the bottom of your cheeks and around your jawline.
For some people, hormonal acne takes the form of blackheads, whiteheads, and small pimples that come to a head, or cysts.
Cysts form deep under the skin and don’t come to a head on the surface. These bumps are often tender to the touch.
Hormonal acne may be caused by influxes of hormones from:
Specifically, these hormone fluctuations may aggravate acne issues by increasing:
- overall skin inflammation
- oil (sebum) production in the pores
- clogged skin cells in hair follicles
- production of acne-causing bacteria called Propionibacterium acnes
How to Get Rid of Hormonal Acne at Home?
There are many natural treatments that can play a vital role in dealing with this kind of acne. Here are some remedies that are mentioned in detail and can prove very helpful for your skin type.
1. Honey Face Wash
It is very easy to make your own honey face wash at home.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with 3 tablespoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Add about 20 drops of essential oil to this mixture, blend it well and pour it in a bottle. Store your homemade honey face wash in a cool dry place.
- Use this gentle cleanser twice a day in the morning and before going to bed.
How to use this cleanser/ face wash for hormonal acne?
- Splash some water on your face (just to make it wet).
- Take a few drops of the cleanser, and massage your face and neck with it for just 1-2 minutes.
- Now, wash the face with warm water.
2. Honey Oatmeal Mask
- Oatmeal does not have any properties that can help fight acne single-handedly. But if it is used with other beneficial products like honey, then it can have good effects on the acne prone skin surface.
How to make an oatmeal honey mask for hormonal acne?
- Cook the oatmeal as you usually do. You can even take the guidance from the guidelines mentioned on the carton.
- When you are done with cooking the oatmeal, immediately add 2 tablespoons of raw honey to it and let the mixture come down to the room temperature.
- Double check if has really cooled down because if you apply it hot, your skin may burn.
- Apply the mixture and let it dry for about 20-30 minutes. Wash your face with cold water and pat it dry.
- Follow this regime for not more than couple of times in a week.
. Raw Papaya Mask
- Papaya helps in removing dead skin cells, as well as excess lipids (fats) from the last layer of your skin. After which your skin becomes very smooth and supple.
- This fruit is also rich in the enzyme called papain which decreases the inflammation and pus formation.
How to use papaya for hormonal acne?
- Cut the papaya into two pieces, take one part and remove all the seeds from it.
- Take/ cut the flesh of the papaya into the fresh container and mash it thoroughly to achieve a thick consistency.
- When you have the paste ready, apply it on your face and on the neck too.
- Leave the mask for about 15-20 minutes, and then wash it off with warm water.
- If your face seems dry after you have taken out the mask, apply a good moisturizer that suits your skin type. The fewer chemicals it has, the better it is.
4. Orange Peel Paste
Orange peel is rich in vitamin C and citric acid, and it also has good amounts of astringent properties.
- With the help of vitamin C, your skin is able to grow new cells and keep your skin healthy.
How to use orange peel for hormonal acne?
- Take two orange peels and grind/blend them along with some water to make a thick paste.
- The paste should not be very thin and runny. It needs to have the same consistency as that of your toothpaste.
- Now apply this paste all over your face or only on the affected area and leave it as is for 20-25 minutes.
- The mask will start appearing to be firm after a while, that is how it should be.
- Wash your face with warm water (no face wash) and pat it dry with a soft towel.
- Use orange peel face mask 1-2 times a week.
5. Banana Peel
- Bananas are healthy and so are their peels. The banana peel is loaded with antioxidants known as lutein. The lutein reduces the swelling and inflammation caused by hormonal acne and endorses healthy growth of new cells.
How to use the banana peel for hormonal acne for hormonal acne?
- No particular procedure is required for using banana peel.
- After you are done with eating the fruit, do not throw the peel in the bin, instead, rub it on the acne prone skin. But make sure you do it very gently.
- Let it dry on your face for about 30 minutes, and then wash it with warm water.
- Doing this once daily will give you desired results.
6. Aloe Vera Gel
- Aloe Vera has amazing anti-bacterial properties. Apart from that, it is also anti-inflammatory, and so is extremely soothing for your skin.
- This gel also helps in reducing the redness and swelling caused by hormonal acne.
- You can either buy aloe vera gel from the market or let the plant grow in your kitchen garden.
- While buying, make sure that the gel has very few additives because that is when the gel will work wonders on your skin.
How to use aloe vera gel against acne for hormonal acne?
- Clean your face with a mild, chemical free face wash before your bedtime.
- Take enough aloe vera gel to cover all the areas affected by acne.
- Apply the gel evenly on all the acne areas, and leave it overnight.
- Wash your face with cold water when you get up in the morning.
- You should follow the procedure daily once or twice a day.
- If you are not going to step out of the house, then you can reapply the gel after the shower, and leave it as it is all day long.
- Aloe vera has no side-effects; therefore, you can use it as much as you can.
7. Garlic- Eat it or apply it
- Garlic is known to have good amounts of anti-bacterial properties.
- The best part is you can include it in your diet or apply it topically- it will show its effect almost instantly.
- The most important thing to keep in mind is never applied garlic in any form without diluting it.
- Do not worry about the smell, it will eventually fade away, but its effect will be long-lasting.
How to use garlic against acne for hormonal acne?
- Take 2-3 cloves of garlic.
- Try to extract juice from these cloves and mix it with 1 teaspoon of water. You can even mash these cloves properly and put it in the same amount of water for about 10 minutes.
- Application of this runny mixture can be tough, but you can use a cotton ball for the same.
- Soak the cotton in the mixture and dab it on the acne prone areas.
- If you still find it hard, you can replace water with aloe vera gel and apply the mixture with your fingertips.
- If you find eating garlic as an easy option, you may very well do it. Prepare it in any style you like, or simply eat a couple of cloves with a glassful of water.
- Whatever you are doing, make sure to do it daily.
8. Simple Water Steam
- Steam helps your skin by opening the pores. The pores then get rid of maximum impurities that have been there for a long time.
- This is simplest yet the most effective home remedy that you can rely on.
How to take steam for hormonal acne?
- You can buy a facial steamer as it will save you a lot of hard work. Until then, you can use a medium sized container available at your home to boil the water.
- Boil 5-6 glasses of water and leave it for 5 minutes. The temperature after 5 minutes should be good enough for your face.
- Now take your face above the container, while maintaining a good distance and cover your head and the container with a large towel.
- Let the steam reach all the areas of your face and neck. When and if it starts getting unbearable, take the towel off immediately.
- A daily routine of 5-10 minutes should be just enough for your skin to get rid of hormonal acne.
9. Lemon Juice
- Rich in vitamin C, lemon juice suits all skin types.
- Being citric acid, it also helps in dead skin exfoliation.
- Lemon juice also has astringent qualities which help in making the skin blemish free.
- It has skin whitening properties too. Therefore, you can easily get rid of the red marks caused by acne, or any other pigmentation that you might be suffering from.
How to use lemon juice for acne for hormonal acne?
- You can simply use fresh plain lemon juice, or mix it with yogurt. Plain juice might sometimes cause a stringy sensation, in that case, it is best to use with a teaspoon of yogurt.
- Apply the mixture on the affected areas and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse your face well with cold water, and pat it dry.
- Never leave the lemon juice on the face and go in the sun, it may make your skin patchy.
10. Sugar Scrub
- It is very important that you exfoliate your skin at regular intervals. A natural, chemical-free homemade scrub is what you need for this.
How to make a sugar scrub for hormonal acne?
- Take 1 teaspoon of crystallized sugar (white or brown any) and mix it with olive oil, honey or just plain water.
- You can also add coarse sea salt to the mixture for extra exfoliation.
- Try to make fresh mixture every time instead of stocking it.
- Now wet your face and apply the mixture all over the face and neck.
- Rub it gently and wash it off with cold water, pat it dry.
- Scrub your face once a week. Do not overdo it as scrubbing may damage your skin.
Foods Best avoided if Your Skin is Prone to hormonal acne:
- Sweets or foods with high levels of sugar. Do not cut down sugar completely from your life as it may cause reverse effects. Keep the consumption to the minimum.
- Anything greasy. Greasy/ oily food is responsible for creating inflammation in the body, which leads to severe breakouts.
- Cow milk. This milk is known to increase the insulin levels in your blood that leads to excessive sebum production. And excessive sebum means that your skin is on its way to producing acne.
- Junk food. Eating junk once in a while is okay, but do not eat junk food on a regular basis. These foods basically belong to the unhealthy category of foods and they are best avoided, especially if you are trying hard to improve your skin.
- Try to incorporate gluten-free diet in your lifestyle that should help a lot.
Foods that help fight hormonal acne:
- Flaxseed, fish, and walnuts, all of these are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Including them in your diet will instantly reduce inflammation and the breakouts.
- Lots of greens. Green leafy vegetables like spinach, kale, broccoli and chard all have skin nourishing nutrients in them. Eating these regularly will not only clear the hormonal acne that you already have but also prevent your skin from further breakouts.
- This one is known to improve the complete digestive system, but it also helps in getting rid of dangerous toxins and extra fluids from your body that may lead to severe acne breakouts.
- Green Tea is extremely rich in anti-oxidants. It protects your skin from free radical damage. A cup or two of green tea every day will mean that you are successfully keeping acne at bay.
Tips and Precautions:
Following these tips and precautions will give you flawless skin.
- Try to keep your hands away from your face. Do not scratch the acne affected area, and do not squeeze them either. Doing this may cause a permanent damage to your skin.
- Try to avoid wearing caps and headbands that are too tight.
- Do not use cosmetics on a regular basis.
- Keep yourself away from greasy moisturizers and creams.
- Make sure to always remove your makeup. Never leave it on the face through the night.
- Vitamin D is good for your skin, but make sure that you do not expose your skin too much to the sun. Always wear good sunscreen lotions during the daytime, irrespective of whether you are going to leave your house for the day or not.
- Do not wash your face too many times. 2-3 times is just enough. Too much of it will cause your skin to dry a lot leading to various other skin problems.
- Change your pillowcase at least twice a week. Your face keeps rubbing the case all the time while you are asleep. Don’t let the dirt from the pillow-case settle down on the acne prone area.
- Drinking a good amount of water will definitely help you here. 8-10 glasses of water will help you get rid of harmful toxins from your body.
- Eating fresh foods and fruits also happen to have a good effect on your skin. Eat healthily to look healthy.
- An eight sleep is what your skin needs. No matter how busy your schedule is, it is very important that you get a very pleasing and complete sleep at night.
- Exercising, yoga and meditation also help your skin a lot. Choose to do whatever you are comfortable doing, but stick to a routine.
Image source :flickr .com
Credit article :hirabeautytips .com and health .com